Monday, May 26, 2008

Honeybees

We had something show up today in one of the trees out front I hadn't seen for a long time. We had a swarm of honeybees. Used to be a ... well, I won't say it was common but it was not that unusual to see a swarm in the spring. It's been years since I saw one.
Here are a few photos for your enjoyment

This was taken in front of the house looking northeast.

Closer ...

Just a little closer ...

This is the closest shot I have that came out. I really needed to get out the tripod for a zoom this far. I was probably 10-15 fet away from them.

They say swarming bees won't sting, but I didn't know if the bees knew that.
One last photo
I tried to contact a beekeeper, but there doesn't appear to be a local one anymore.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good morning!
That's a beautiful swarm of bees!

By now they may have found a place to go and have gone, but if not - here is a link to folks in Illinois who can probably help you find someone who would be quite pleased to have that swarm.

http://www.isba.us/

I'd love to hear more about what happens with it!

:-)
-- Christy Hemenway
GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
207-449-1121
Bath, Maine
www.goldstarhoneybees.com

The Morgan Family said...

That is freaky!

Anonymous said...

Hey this is Jim Amans buddy... Stephen Miller is a Bee Keeper he lives out by the saw mill... contact him or i can put you in touch with him if he's still on shift at work. that is if they stick aorund i'm not sure how bees operate

Blog Archive