Monday, January 19, 2009

The Day in Which I Catch You and Me Up

Actually I borrowed the title from Jill's blog. I didn't realize it had been over 3 weeks since I updated! Let's see ... what has happened since the first of the year? No weddings. Been a funeral or two, a new baby (not in our family, but close. Kelsey (used to be Sheets) had a girl last week), a broken arm (Sue's mom), just living.

The big thing around here has been remodeling. Remodeling is kind of like replacing tractor tires. You need one replace ... but you ought to replace a pair as a set ... but then you have 2 new ones on one side and 2 old ones on the other ... but then you have 4 new ones on the back and 4 old ones on the front ... soon you've spent $12,000 to replace 1 tire.

I don't think we are going to spend $12,000 on the bathroom (actually I KNOW we are not) . But we started out replacing the tub for Sue's birthday present. I know, violates my principals about appliances not being gifts but it was what she REALLY wanted. The first thing you need is a Master Carpenter. But we started replacing the tub. When we got the tub out we found newspapers from 1949 under the floor as a kind of underlayment so we have a pretty good idea how old it is.
Well, you just about have to destroy the cabinets it is built into to get it out. And to have room to work you may as well pull the sink cabinet. And while you have gone this far But you know, if we move the washer and dryer in here we could put a new tub / shower in the other bathroom. And we could make a new door and close the old one and then build a new closet and a pantry well you get to this pretty quickly.

I have to thank Aman. If it were not for him I would not have tackled this by myself. In fact, he has done most of the work so far. Sue and I had to take off one afternoon for a funeral visitation, Aman, Adam, Sue, and I took off most of one day to go to Sue's folks then get some supplies, I've had other things I had to take care of. Aman has gotten stuck with most of the dirty work by himself. And then Friday he and Becky got a flu bug of some kind. So we kept the boys Friday while they recovered. All this carpenter work really wears you out


I had hoped to have the initial job finished in one week. We would have if we had been able to stay at it. Well, I better go act like I am working. later Y'all

No comments:

Blog Archive