Thursday, September 23, 2010

Missing someone I never met

I got  a note from a lady in NW Wisconsin Tuesday.

"John passed away peacefully early this morning. He was only on hospice for 5 days, and deteriorated rapidly in those few days. His wish was to be at home, and was very worried about pain. Fortunately he had very little pain, and I was at his side in our home when he passed away. I know he's in a better place with no more suffering now"


John was a retired dairy farmer from NW Wisconsin.  He was one of many people I have met online but never known in person.   Barb and John have been friends online for quite some time. Not terribly close, but someone I always kind of watched for when they made comments to see what was going on in their lives.

Barb posted January 2 of 2009 that John's prostate cancer had spread and the Dr didn't think treatments were doing any good.  She asked we write John some words of encouragement.  He and I exchanged a few letters. Yes, actual hard copy mailing via USPS letters.  He sent me a photo of him on his "B" they had restored that was on a Renk Seed newsletter

I never have had much luck copying photos from a pdf file. If you download http://www.renkseed.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=DxKucXZQEEc%3d&tabid=160 it's on page 6.  he commented in a letter "The story behind that little tractor is way too long to tell you about."  I kind of wish he had taken the time.

This is another one of those places I kind of kick myself.  I hadn't mentioned it to Sue or to them, but I kind of hoped we could go see Jim this summer and take a couple days to wonder north to see John and Barb. The way the summer worked out that didn't happen.

Well, I am waxing philosophical, and while a shiny philosophy is nice I think I'll just hit the "Publish Post" button and leave it needing a little work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure you will miss the exchange you had with your online friend. Hopefully he was able to pass away without much pain. I am sure you were a good friend even tho you had never met.

Blog Archive