Friday, September 9, 2011

Is this it for Wilkey's ?

I got a disturbing text message today.  It said Wilkey's was closed ... maybe permanently.  I can hear Wanda going "Wilkey's?"  Let me give some background.

My grandfather grew up southeast of Mt. Vernon, Illinois,
a few miles from Belle Rive
 You can get there from the Buford/Ina road, Illinois 142, Interstate 64
Belle Rive has some interesting things.  Like the ice machine.  You take the ice you want and put the money in a box.  Honor system.
 It has a really tall water tower
Wilkey's is a little restaurant in Belle Rive

It used to be a couple blocks down the highway, but several years ago moved up on Main Street.  Great smorgasboard, fantastic pies.  I had heard it was closed for remodeling. It may be permanent.   If it wasn't Dad's favorite it was clearly in the top 10.

Here is one more photo I found online.  It will look familiar to anyone who has been down Log Cabin Road on the way to Grandpa Robert's

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are right!!!! Wilkey's who. Believe it or not I have been to Bluford and know where that is at. So sorry to hear they are closing and I never got to eat there.

Blog Archive