Thursday, July 26, 2012

So how bad is it ?

One of the questions I am getting more and more is "So how bad is it?"  "It' is the corn and bean crop. 

"It" is bad enough a neighbor destroyed 450 acres of irrigated seed production because it did not pollinate in the heat.  And I don't know of anyone carrying adequate crop insurance on seed corn ... this year. Next year WILL be different.
 
I'll be honest, I have a couple fields I have not even been in. I'm not sure my heart is strong enough.  Here are a few photos of places I have been
You have probably seen this one taken east of Mom's on the sand knob.  Not at all unexpected
This was taken south of Walnut Prairie east of the block building
I'd say a large part of the field is a total loss.
But this was south of Olive's.  According to the soil survey this is the best soil I farm.
 If you look closely you notice zip ... zero ... nada.  No ears at all on most stalks.  The ones that do have ears look like this:
I know, I need to get out on the 80 and True's and look.  I just want to make sure we have a full crew for the ambulance before I do.  In 1983 I won a yield contest with an 86 bushel yield from the west 80.
I don't think this year will be that good.
We doubled cropped almost all the wheat ground.  If it is not watered it looks like this
That is over 6 weeks after planting.  The weeds are not even growing.

Here is where it was watered.
 That was taken10 days ago.  The rows have closed now.  The non-irrigated looks just like it did.

Romans 8:28 still works:
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him
But at times it stretches your faith.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Mike it is awful. I have a feeling its going to be a long hard year for everyone because of this. What started out to be a superb year has become our worst nightmare. This is so wide spread. Oh if we could only see His master plan.

Anonymous said...

It is the same across in IN. A few later fields look decent but so sad. Many are baling the corn and silos were filled earlier. Maybe the beans will get better.linda

Blog Archive