Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Pass the Alka Seltzer

I keep telling myself Romans 8:28 still works. Maybe this fuzzy chart ( from http://quotes.ino.com/chart/?s=CBOT_S.X08&v=d1 ) will help explain.


September 24 beans were just over $12 on the CBOT. (Local cash price the 24th was $11.21) This afternoon they closed at $9.21 (The local elevator would not offer a cash price this afternoon. Can't blame them, since beans closed down 70 cents) {EDIT: The local cash price Tuesday morning was $8.75. That is a drop of $2.46 per bushel.} Down over $2 in 10 days. To put that in perspective, let's say I have 500 acres of beans averaging 50 bu/a (I like numbers I can do in my head). That would be a loss of income potential of $50,000 in 10 days. So there is no need to wonder why I am up doing this at midnight instead of sleeping. I'm not worried, Romans 8:28 still works (God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God) but I do get bothered a bit at times.

Let's think about something else. Back in March I took some photos of the old garage at the Prust place. Mill Creek is undercutting the building and there is not a whole lot that can be done. Here is one looking at the west side from the north


Looking at it from the south end of the building it looked like this

We were over there last week and the west wall had caved off. I decided it was a safety hazard and bumped it a time or two with the loader. Not hard, just a couple bumps. Here is a view from the north side looking along the west wall again taken September 30


I guess I should have asked the landowner first, but it looked like too much of a liability to leave. Some one could have been walking around inside looking at it when the thing gave way. Here is a view from the front. See how the roof is just hanging off on mid-air?


Oh well, I should try and get some sleep. It could be worse. Here is a photo I was sent by email last year.

Takes talent.



1 comment:

Jim said...

I could tell from the very first photo where that was. Do you know how old that building was?

Blog Archive