Friday, March 5, 2010

Is winter over ?

This blog is titled Wonderings from Walnut Prairie.  Here are some Wonderings, not necessarily related to each other

Snow is pretty much gone, getting too warm for my flannel lined jeans, geese are getting fewer, Spring may actually be just around the corner!
*************************************************
I was at an Illinois Association of Fire Protection Districts (yes, there really is such an organization) meeting in Teutopolis last week and saw this on a wall.  Wish I knew the author so I could give credit

I need to set down and type it out
 *************************************************
We ordered replacement windows for the kitchen today.  We live such an exciting life.
*************************************************
Lost a friend yesterday.  Norman Boyd passed away Thursday. I posted this on a private forum Chris and I frequent.  Norman was one of a kind:

I was trying to think of my earliest memories of Norman. I'm no good with dates and stuff, but it had to be in high school. I remember meeting him and making some comment and he just gave me an awkward grin and quietly said "Yeah.." and went back to what he was doing. At first meeting you suspected he should have been in the hills of Kentucky instead of the flatland of Illinois ...

You knew he was there, but he let others take the spotlight. I remember things like a grain handling system on a farm, crank up radio tower, Christmas lights, a big picture window in the living room, and of course the solar water heater. 35 years ago folks, Norman made a solar water heater ... out of a plastic pipe and a scrap of plywood. Oh! and the pond house! How could I forget the pond house. He built a pond back off the road, planted a grove of pine trees between it and the road and built a white rock drive to it. One end was a totally concrete dock and then he put a party house for his family on it. You knew Norman by what he did.

No comments:

Blog Archive