Thursday, November 25, 2010

I had a dream ...

I had a dream ... Normally when you hear that phrase it is some kind of uplifting, life-changing speech. Naw.  I had a dream last night and I'm more tired now than when I went to bed.


In my dream we were still under those extremely dry weather conditions we had for the last month or so.  Kind of like living in a tinderbox.  I dreamed I was driving down a local road just a few miles outside of our fire district and saw a fire in a field.  I stopped to try and put it out.  The wind kicked up and it jumped to multiple locations and started spreading toward several houses.


I called dispatch but they wouldn't accept where I said I was as a valid address.  I heard them on my radio dispatch the wrong fire department to the wrong address.  I got rattled and made it worse.  So I called some of my guys on the cell phone to come in our trucks.


In my dream one of the firefighters I called was at a restaurant where a salesman passing through was driving a demonstrator fire engine set up for foam operation and ready to work (Hey!  If you're going to dream, dream big!).  He responded with it while others brought all our equipment.


It was a difficult fire, feeding off dry vegetation and being spread by high winds.  But we kept it away from the houses.  We beat it.  And we had no more than got it out than the department who was supposed to be responding showed up.

I was about as exhausted  in my dream as I was at our Firefighter's Challenge at the Fall Festival a few years ago.

And now I am setting here at 6:30 Thanksgiving morning as physically worn out as if I'd actually fought a fire, wondering "What was all that about?"


But hey!  Any time you beat a fire and save the day you should be thankful.  And it is Thanksgiving Day.  So in addition to the uncountable blessings I have to be thankful for I can add beating a fire, even in a very weird dream. Be sure and count your blessings today.  You'll run out of numbers before you get done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike - Had to laugh reading about your dream.

I used to be on the local Fire Dept here in S. Minnesota. Another member and I went to pick up our new truck in S.D. a few years back.

On the way back with the new rig we noticed several fire trucks on I-90 heading towards a fire not far off the Interstate. I was driving my car while the other fellow was driving the new truck. He called me and asked if we should join in and help out. I said sure we bought it to fight fire.

He pulled in line and got a fill of water and delivered it to the location. By then the fire was under control and we went on our way home.

We thought it was an appropriate way to break in the new rig before we ever got home with it.

Ted Thisius

Blog Archive