Friday, October 14, 2011

I try to keep this separate from the farm page

I try to keep this separate from the farm page, but sometimes that is difficult for me.  I get out of bed farming in my head, I work on the farm all day, and quite often end up dozing off in my office chair doing farm related work. So what have I been doing besides farming? Let me ponder a minute ...

Tuesday evening we had one of our twice a month fire department meetings.  But that kind of became a farm thing, as we ran out to our shed and looked at a combine for possible trouble spots.

One of the things I am involved in I can't take much credit for is our Wednesday evening youth class at church.  This is my favorite age group, ranging from about 6th grade through High School.   Michael Leighty is the teacher.  My job is to be the old guy.  Sometimes we get help in that department from Jon Ledermann ... except he really isn't old enough to qualify. We have been running in excess of 10 kids a week, sometimes more like 15.  When you consider maybe 5 or 6 of those are regular's on Sunday it seems to be working.

We try and be rather informal.  They have been in class at school all day, they don't need more of the same.  So we don't enforce behavior expectations quite as strict as might be expected at school or on Sunday morning.  Basically Michael tries to teach a lesson and I try to put a spin on it that makes the kids think.  A question was asked last Wednesday, and the answer was of course "Jesus" ... to which one of our regulars responded "That's a Sunday School answer". You are going "What?"  Let me explain.

We learn there are certain answers that usually work.  For instance in Church we learn a "Church vocabulary"  I've gotten onto my kids before for giving pat answers, answers using words we wouldn't use in every day life, "Sunday School answers" instead of using words and terminology we would normally use.

I hope we are building these kids into a community.  It would just be fantastic to help these kids develop into a group of friends who look out for and support each other.  Maybe I expect too much, but you can't reach what you don't try for.

So what else non-farm stuff have I done?  Oh!  Aman and I took down a TV tower.  The house Dale and Carolyn Poorman moved into had a TV tower they wanted removed.  I told them months ago we would do it for them, but for various reasons never got around to it.  We were setting twiddling our thumbs this week, so we took it down.
Guess where I was?  Hmm..I just realized we left that pipe laying in the yard.


I'm contemplating playing hookey Friday the 14th.  We can't do field work, and I hate to start any projects during farming season.  We'll see.  I better wind this up before I start waxing philosophical  Although sometimes your philosophy needs a good waxing.

No comments:

Blog Archive