Monday, December 26, 2011

My First Responder class is progressing slowly.  One of the reasons it was moved from West Union to Robinson was because the instructor was on duty or on call there.  So we are meeting at the ambulance base.  But when the instructor has a run the class gets cancelled, so we are going long on the schedule. 

Some of the "clinical activities" really frustrate me.  I guess too many years of holding vibrating steering wheels and wrench twisting and beating on things.

 
My fingers just don't have the  sensitivity to find a pulse.  I just don't feel it. 

I had trouble taking blood pressure, too.  I was looking on Amazon and found a Sphygmomanometer (run THAT through your spell check) and stethoscope set that wasn't too expensive so I splurged and bought them so I could practice. Marge would like the color...
I don't think I'll make it as a Doctor ... or Nurse ... or Paramedic.  Because I put the cuff on my arm and pumped and listened and released and I just don't hear the sounds well enough to check blood pressure.    That or I'm dead.   But at least as a First Responder instead of an EMT I may not need that ability very much.

I'm making a First Response kit for my truck.  You can buy one for $100 or so, but I decided I could build one that suited my needs better for less.  But what do I put everything in?  I can uy a genuine First Responder bag for $35 or more .. or go to Walmart and buy a 6 can cooler with a hard liner that will hold everything I need for $5.98.
Any guesses which I bought?

Now I just need to stock it.

Our latest chapter is Emergency Responder childbirth training
MORE information I hope I NEVER need

I think once this chapter is done all we need is CPR certification (or re-certification for most of us in class) and do our finals and we're finished.  The finals may finish me alright.

No comments:

Blog Archive