Tuesday, October 9, 2012

2 years ago

Two years ago tonight anyone involved with emergency services in the West Union area listening to the Clark County dispatch channel heard on the radio "We've had an accident and I can't find my patient."  Everyone  went "OH (insert word of choice) !" and lit running.

I was in the first firetruck on scene.  At first it didn't look that bad ... until you started paying closer attention. It was the most massive, well equipped, over staffed response to an accident in recent history. It was a classic example of everyone in two counties working together, doing everything they could ... and still not accomplishing what they wanted to happen.

 We lost an EMT / Paramedic that night.  To be honest we lost the heart of the West Union Ambulance Service.  I wrote recently about unintended consequences.  We're still feeling the consequences of this accident.
 It hurts to say it, but I fear we as a community have let Rick's memory down.  It is tough.  I KNOW it is tough.  Because he was a brother / friend / mentor / boss / co-worker. I'm fairly confident he would tell us to get our ___ together and do what we were trained to do.  And get more training.

And evangelize.

I realize that is not the normal use of the word.  But to be honest Rick evangelized the ambulance service.  He got more people involved, heled more people get trained, encouraged more people to be an EMT or Paramedic than anyone I know.


We had folks in training that have never gone back.  We've had folks leave the positions they held with the service.  I'm told some EMT's still won't get back in an ambulance.  We have failed to evangelize ... to interest and involve and train and encourage new people.

I understand.  I really do. Because last winter I took a First Responder class.  Not even basic EMT, just a class on what do I have to do to try and keep you alive until someone gets there who knows something.  Looking at that one class and extrapolating on to EMT and Paramedic the commitment required is almost staggering.  The education and training and time and effort and even money involved just to be a volunteer will cause the normal person to lose interest.

But then again, normal folks don't do stuff like this.

Rick would have been the first to tell you he wasn't normal.  What he would not have told you was he was extraordinary.

If you are reading this and have any inkling of an interest in starting down this long road of emergency services I want to encourage you.  If you say "I just can't because ____" I won't argue with you.  But I'll toss another idea your way.  If you can't do it support someone who is.

For instance, I know a woman in West Union right now studying to be an EMT.  She is driving to Grayville, Illinois twice a week for classes. The financial cost of just going to class, not counting the cost of the education, is staggering.  Find someone like that and sponsor them. Or at least support them.  Slip them a little cash just to help with their expenses. Or if you can afford it underwrite their class expense. Start your own scholarship program.

Rick would be proud of you.

No comments:

Blog Archive