Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Have we become complacent?

I'm bouncing around ideas for a communion meditation for Sunday.  This is a collection of various thoughts.  I guess you'll have to come to church to hear the final version.

Have we become complacent about communion?  I feel safe in saying we have more people here today who have been taking communion more than 20 years than less than 20 years.  Do you remember the first time you took communion?

I'll admit, I do not.

But recently I got to watch some young ladies taking communion for the first time.  The excitement.  The wonder.  The mystery.  I fear most of us have lost that. We come to church and ...Oh yeah, communion time again.  These girls were so excited to be taking communion they could barely contain themselves Oh that we old folks would have such enthusiasm.

Don't misunderstand,  I don't think the elements of communion are something mystic.  It's just bread and juice.  It has no mysterious power.  It's just common food Jesus used as an example.

The mystery, the power, is in the remembering what it symbolizes.  In declaring by our actions and our belief.


Some say that is why we should not have communion every Sunday, because it makes it less special.  I worry that having it less often makes it too special. There is a mystery about it, a holiness to it.  But at the same time I don't think it needs to be something mystic.  It's just bread and juice.  It has no mysterious power.  It's just common food Jesus used as an example.


No comments:

Blog Archive