Thursday, July 10, 2008

What is your definition of a "better" life?

What is your definition of a "better" life? On a forum I frequent Kay asked that question. It is one I have been pondering, especially considering the year we have been having. After spending way too much time waxing philosophical (and no, it still doesn't shine) I define a better life as one just a little better than your parents had.

I really don't think I can accomplish it, especially if I throw in my grandparents. Both my grandfathers lived well into their 90's. They started with nothing and ended life with something to pass on to their kids.

I don't know much about what my mom's dad started with, other than I heard him make various comments over the years about not doing business with family. He worked hard all his life. He picked apples in a local ordhard until he was ... I think 88, at least 85. Not because he had to in order to survive, but because he enjoyed it and wanted to.

My dad's dad was raised poor. He commented one time he was 16 before he knew you could buy new nails. They always straightened and reused old ones.
We never were sure if he was joking or not. We suspected not. His dad just never had the gift of financial success. He left home about 16 with little more than what he was wearing. Two of his brothers had moved north to south central Illinois to find work, and he went to that area and found work on a farm.

The first tractor he ever owned he paid for twice. They had saved the money for it, and between the time he ordered it and it came in the bank failed and lost it all. He was able to borrow the money from his in-laws to pay for it. When he died he owned almost 450 acres, had put 2 daughters through college, had another daughter married to a successful farmer, and seen his son be successful farming. He had enough cash (in more than one bank ... I think at one time he had money in at least 4 different ones) he didn't have to worry about paying his bills. Here he is standing in front of the old home place near Mt Vernon, Illinois


I've had an easy life compared to them. But when I look at what they accomplished and what my dad has accomplished, I have my doubts I will qualify as a financial success the way they did. Perhaps my success will be measured differently.
So what is your definition of a "better" life?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since that was my phrase, I am going to comment.A better life..less stress about lack of money, some money in the bank, a home that you own, not having to worry about every dollar you spend might be needed for something else, time to relax and enjoy life and your family, time to go fishing. Work that is meaningful to you. Time to be able to give something back, which you are doing.

Where I live the generations before us had the right to worry about their future just like your grandfather, they lived through the Depression. Of course, not all Americans had such a rough time so the meaning of a better life is different for everyone.
The flip side of this is that I know some who are worth millions but can't enjoy any of it due to the need to save every penny they can through coupons or sales or maybe not ethical means.Their grandchildren will soon blow it all.
Life is short and a better life allows for time to enjoy life along with satisfying work.

Adam Gonnerman said...

A better life for me would be one in which I raise my children well, am a good husband to my beautiful wife and am able to fulfill my vocation to Brazilian missions.

BTW, mine is the generation of my family that left the farm entirely. My father and one of his brothers (the latter is still living) were farmers, but my father was the only one with sons. Sometimes that nags at me in the back of my mind, but Dad always said to me what he said his parents told him: You can do whatever you want.

Big Sis said...

I think "financial success" especially when you're talking family farming, isn't a good measure of success. I think if you can stay true to what you believe, and lead a joyful life, you're doing great.

Perhaps a better life is being able to emulate your parents' good qualities, and be strong enough to overcome the less-positive ones. Hence, be a better person.

Blog Archive