Sunday, August 15, 2010

West Union Library

I was talking with Anita at the library one day and she mentioned there was some interest in the library having a web site.  In a response that may surprise some, I suggested she not do that.  There are new legal requirements I'm not fully aware of concerning tax bodies and web sites.  If they have one certain things are required to be posted in a certain way in a specified time frame.  I don't know all the details, just have caught bits and pieces of it.   I'm sure some Governor's brother-in-law has to approve something.

It didn't seem to hurt her feelings any.  She has more to do now than she gets paid for. (That's no big secret.  Like a lot of small town things, there's a lot of volunteer work given by a lot of people.  Even those getting "paid" often do more than they are paid to do or use their salaries to benefit the organization ... be it library, fire, ambulance, or local government.

Anyway, I had to renew a couple of my url's (that means my internet address, like www.BumpusFarms.US) and discovered GoDaddy had a promo on .info addresses.  So I registered http://www.westunionlibrary.info  Well, now what to do with it?

I thought about another blogspot page, like this one or the one the farm address is linked to.  But I decided it might be best if it was totally independent of these pages. So I went to wordpress and set up a page there (http://westunionlibrary.wordpress.com/) and linked the http://www.westunionlibrary.info url to it.

Wordpress sure operates differently than blogspot.  Here is how I opened the first post:


This is not the “Official Web Site of the West Union District Library“. The URL www.westunionlibrary.info is owned, paid for, and maintained by a friend of the West Union, Illinois District Library. As such it is not subject to the various and confusing laws, rules, and regulations an “Official” site would be subject to. If the Library wishes to start its own site and purchase its own URL, that is the library’s privilege and right. In other words, don’t file a Freedom Of Information request because the owner is free to decide it isn’t any of your business!

I told Anita  what the user ID and password were if she wanted to change or add anything, but it is legally mine so the FOIA stuff does not apply.

And THAT was my big accomplishment this week.

No comments:

Blog Archive