Sunday, January 30, 2011

You joined what ?

I'm not much of a "joiner".  I belong to my church, the ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League), and Farm Bureau (you have to to buy insurance). I also belong to the Soybean Growers ... involved a seed company promo.  But last week Sue and I joined the local Ruritan club.
OK, so what is Ruritan? Quoting the website http://ruritan.org "Ruritan is a civic service organization made up of local clubs in urban areas, small towns and rural communities.

Ruritan's purpose is to create a better understanding among people and through volunteer community service, make America's communities better places in which to live and work. The slogan of Ruritan is "Fellowship, Goodwill and Community Service." Club membership represents a cross-section of the community in which the club serves, and is not restrictive with regard to occupation, social position, or any other specific criteria.


Unlike most civic service organizations, Ruritan rarely has national programs. Rather, each club surveys its own community as to the needs of that community and then works to meet some of those needs.

Why did we join?  Because Ruritan does good things and, well, to be honest the club needs us.  The average age local member is probably on Social Security.  If the club is to continue doing good it needs younger members.  3 of us joined last week.  Linda is actively recruiting new members.  Younger members.  I anticipate this causing problems.

In a discussion with Keith Ray, the President of Lincoln Christian University, a few years ago he pointed out something I am finding more and more true.   People older than I am will come to a meeting just because it is time for a meeting. People younger than I am will come to a meeting if there is a reason.  After about the second meeting they attend where the who goal and purpose of the meeting was to have a meeting because it was meeting night they don't show up any more.

I've seen this concept proven time and time again, in meetings at LCU, in church meetings, in fire department meetings, in other organizational meetings.   If things are not happening and a good reason shown for younger folks to invest their time they disappear.

The other thing is, younger members are going to want to try new and different things.  Things that may have been tried 20 years ago and didn't work ... then.  And they are going to speak up and ask questions.  Good questions. Awkward questions.  And old answers won't satisfy them.

I have been hesitant to join for a couple reasons.  One, I have enough monthly meetings the way it is.  And second, I am involved enough with what I'm doing already I don't need any more responsibilities. But the local club needs me and others if it is going to continue.  Who knows, we might get some new blood involved in Ruritan that has not been involved in anything in the community.  THAT would be great

No comments:

Blog Archive