Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I'm a glutton for punishment ...

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.  Just ask most anyone who has taken ICS-300 training. I know, What's  that?  ICS=300 is part of NIMS.
"NIMS provides a consistent, flexible and adjustable national framework within which government and private entities at all levels can work together to manage domestic incidents, regardless of their cause, size, location or complexity."

Huh?

OK, try this.  NIMS provides a set of standard organizational structures, as well as requirements for managing incidents and events.  It is a requirement for just about any federal grants.  It's also a good concept .. just a bit of a pain.  It is result of a couple Presidential directives, HSPD-6 and HSPD-8

I guess the short explanation is it is a system for managing people
 
Actually I've had ICS-300  training before, along with 100, 200, 400 and 700.  So why am I repeating a class most people hate, wasting 2 days in class again?  A couple reasons.  This system is designed to make things work better when things get bad. Anytime I can make it work better it is good.   The other thing is anytime I take a class like this I benefit.  It may not be from the class itself, but I get a benefit.

One of the consequences of fewer firefighters being available (especially during the day) is more and more mutual aid.  This means we get in more situations with multiple departments on scene.  Anything that helps us all work together better is important.

And there are the side benefits.  I met some folks I'd never met before. EMT from Toledo, firefighter from Newton, Chief from Claremont.  Worked out well, Claremont is asking to join our MABAS group, so it was nice to get to know Randy before we voted on allowing them to join.  Spent the day setting beside the Crawford County Sheriff.  Always good to have a friendly law enforcement officer.

And I think I stayed awake through the whole thing!

No comments:

Blog Archive