Saturday, February 19, 2011

Church Leaders Conference

It's been a long day but a good one. Terry, Morgan, and I pulled out about 5:30 this morning and headed for Lincoln, Illinois for a church leader's conference at Lincoln Christian University (http://www.lincolnchristian.edu/)
Bob  Lowery spoke, and he was good.
My photos weren't so good
We also caught up with Gary Sheets. He was looking very good
(a LOT better than my photo of him)
Bob was really showing the effects of his medical problems.  Motorcycle accident, then cancer, physically he wasn't 100%. He would speak from the podium a while, then sit and talk, then get up again.  It was actually more effective than just standing at the podium ... although Bob was not known for that.  Mentally he was as good as ever.  Here are a few quotes:
"I have turned my soapboxes into kindling wood."
"Sometimes the question has more than one answer."
"Leaders are shepherds, not cowboys."
"I am an unhyphenated Christian."
"Grace makes things a little messy."
"The older I've gotten and the more I've studied, my core values have shrank."
"We are a culture obsessed with titles ... I'm really bugged by some of you who want the title Senior Pastor ... if you are going to use certain titles be sure you understand the consequences ... I've found nothing in the Bible giving that title to anyone but Jesus."

No comments:

Blog Archive