Monday, July 25, 2011

Not the greatest way to start your week

I went to a funeral this morning. Not the greatest way to start your week. Dad's sister lost her battle with cancer. The funeral was in a little country church a little over an hour drive from here. It was also in a different time zone, so it was an hour earlier for us than it was there. I was kind of impressed with the number of family friends who had to leave home by 7:00 AM to get there.  And some got up a lot earlier.

But something that really impressed me, and I thought spoke highly of my aunt's friends, was something I bet a lot didn't see or realize. Like I said, it was a small country church. It was a standing room only crowd. Repeatedly I saw men get up and offer their seat to a lady standing along the wall. You don't see such chivalry too much any more.

I was also impressed with the number of vehicles that were pulled to the side of the road and stopped until the procession passed.

This has to be particularly trying on her family as a week ago her mother in law was buried.

Having been on the receiving end when dad died I tried not to use the same old expression everyone uses. I didn't ask "How are you?" or "How you doing?" How would you expect them to be? Then there is "I know how you feel..." If you did you would know better than to say something like that. Sometimes all you can say is "We'll miss her, too."

Oh well, tomorrow is a new day.

No comments:

Blog Archive