Sunday, December 19, 2010

Amazing Grace


In the fire and emergency service it is called a Line Of Duty Death.  It means someone died during or because of responding to help others.  I'd never been to an LODD funeral until this fall.  I've been to a couple since the first of October, and there is another Monday at Sullivan, Indiana. I can't say it is something I enjoy, but at the same time I am honored to be involved.

As I understand it the firefighter/paramedic from Sullivan had finished a run, sat down, and fell over dead.   The firefighter from Brocton the Oakland funeral was for had jumped in the firetruck to move it on scene and collapsed.  Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I seem to be hearing more about these kinds of things lately.

The Illinois Fire Chiefs Association gets really involved.  They have funeral guidelines (see http://www.illinoisfirechiefs.org/service.asp?id=25), offer assistance, and it doesn't matter if your department is a member of their association or not. I was at a funeral in Oakland and parked beside a Fire Chief from north of Chicago.

I know it sound like I am a bit morbid pondering on this today.    I got on this train of thought because someone linked me to a youtube video of Andre' Rieu leading in playing Amazing Grace.  It seems to be a standard at one of these funerals for someone to play Amazing Grace on the bagpipes. Crank up the volume and listen to this
(NOTE to Mom and anyone else without a fast internet connection.  Click the play button then pause it and let it load a while before touching play again)

A search of YouTube for Amazing Grace gives 490,000 hits!  it has been called the most popular song in history

Here are 3 of the best vocal renditions:

Wintley Phipps offers some background I found interesting and his performance is outstanding

 Hayley Westerna gives a marvelous version  She has a fantastic voice

  But I think Rhema Marvanne does the best job of singing Amazing Grace I've ever heard:


Amazing Grace
John Newton (1725-1807)
Stanza 6 anon.
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.


T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.


Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.


The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.


Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

No comments:

Blog Archive