Friday, December 24, 2010

Jesus Laughing

Brent Olson has been blogging since before the term was invented.  He writes regularly for Successful Farming's online site. http://www.agriculture.com/talk/views/humor  They put him in the humor section but he gets a bit deep at times.  His most recent column caused me to stop and ponder a bit.  Here's an excerpt:

The other night we went out to dinner with about a dozen friends.  As is often the case, there were a couple of conversations going on simultaneously.  At my end of the table, I was looking for a little help. “I still have to write a Christmas column.  Anyone have any ideas?”
There was a brief moment of silence and then from the other end of the table, from another conversation, someone said, brightly, “I always eat olives when I drink beer.”
Everybody laughed.
Then someone else looked at me and said, “Olives grow in the Holy Land.”
Everybody laughed again.
Well, yeah, I suppose that’s true, but not even I am likely to try to write a column tying together olives, beer, and Jesus.  I don’t know who could write that column, but I’d be willing to bet they never taught Sunday school in a Methodist church.

He goes on to talk about  Christmas:

That part of Christmas can slip my mind.  ...  – I already had the instructions.
“…I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people…”
Can’t get much clearer than that.

More from Brent:

it’s the shortest verse in the Bible, and maybe that means something.  Maybe we aren’t meant to weep all that much.
I’m sure Jesus did weep.  But I bet he laughed even more.
And he probably ate olives.

Everyone knows the shortest verse in the Bible, "Jesus wept."   But like Brent, I think we often miss the other side of it.  I am certain Jesus laughed, maybe a lot.
I even found a web site: http://www.jesuslaughing.com  That's where the print above came from.


That is one of the things I have heard mentioned by folks visiting Chilton's.  The food is good, the service is OK, but folks don't go many places where they hear laughter like you often do there.  I think that is the difference between a good and a not so good family gathering.  Laughter is a sign it is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Mike.

Blog Archive