Sunday, December 12, 2010

I think I made the right choice this evening

It's been a beautiful week down here on the prairie.  I didn't realize how beautiful until today hit. WOW! did winter make it's presence known.  We went from what would have been a pretty nice
 March day to a "let's go to Florida" December storm almost overnight.

I replaced the Fire Department's Automatic Electronic Defibrolator today.  We got it under a state grant a couple years ago.  We were notified this fall it had been recalled.  Friday we got a new one in the mail.

So I have to box up the old one and send it back to them.  We have never needed it and I'll be happy if we never do.  Because if WE are using it that means the EMT's were busy elsewhere.

But anyway, I mentioned making the right choice.  We had the church Christmas party scheduled for this evening.  I came home, pulled the truck in the barn ... and couldn't see the house for the blowing snow.  I told Sue we weren't going anyplace that wasn't absolutely necessary.  
I called the preacher, one of the elders, and one of the deacons and expressed my opinion that this would be a good night not to have it.

Setting here I've been listening the the police radio.  Westbound I-70 between Martinsville and the county line has one 5 semi truck plus 1 or 2 passenger car pileup, with another 2 truck/minivan wreck east of that and a jackknifed semi in the passing lane east of that.  Cars setting in line are running out of gas.

It sounds like dispatch has gone into major incident mode.  You don't hear any radio traffic that isn't related to this incident or something major.  Kind of like I used to tell the kids: If you scream like that someone better be bleeding.  If it doesn't involve personal injury I think dispatch it telling folks to take a number and call in the morning.

Yep, last week was beautiful.  I should have enjoyed it more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hind sight is 20/20. I look back at my younger years and wish I had enjoyed it more instead of worrying about what the neighbors would think. Enjoy the moment and live with no regrets.

Blog Archive