Sunday, June 26, 2011

Well that was interesting ....

Something went POP just outside the house during a storm last night.  I'm looking things over before calling the insurance agent and an electrician Monday morning.  I've not ventured out to get a meter yet, so I've just observing what is obvious.

Right now the back porch original outlets, back bathroom lights and original outlets, front bathroom lights and outlets, east kitchen outlets, basement lights, and furnace do not work.  I unplugged the water heater.

We have one circuit on breaker #11 that doesn't do anything.   Our draft induced gas water heater is on breaker #17.  If I turn off #11 with #17 on something buzzes in the water heater.  I disconnected it and turned off both breakers.  I discovered this morning the furnace/air conditioner (#26) is not working either, and the breaker is turned on.  I observed an LED night light in the back bathroom is flickering when plugged into one outlet, but not when plugged into a different one on a different breaker.

Let's see, did I get the fire insurance paid ?

edit:  It appears the  problem is the main disconnect switch.  It has 120 volts coming in both lines, but only one line coming out has 120.  The other is dead.  Our noises were from backfeeding through some 240 volt appliances.  Once I disconnected them the noise quit.

No comments:

Blog Archive