Saturday, July 17, 2010

Going the wrong way ?

I'd been out irrigating this evening.  For those who don't understand what that means, after supper (yes, supper, Dinner is served at noon) I jumped on the ATV and switched the pump from one irrigator to the other.  (Not complicated, just shut one down, open and close some valves to redirect the water, unplug and plug in the 480 volt wire and the safety wire, bring the system up to pressure and voltage, drive 3/4 mile to the other pivot, start it, drive 3/4 mile back to the pump and set the safety switch ... nothing to it)  Then I changed the shut off switch setting on another irrigator, checked on 2 others, got on the tractor with the Bush Hog and mowed an irrigator alley and some seed field end rows, jumped back on the ATV and shut down a system that had completed its circle, and came home.

Just an average evening during irrigation season.

Anyway, I'm setting there at the stop sign on Rt 1 at 9 PM when this van drives by pulling a cargo trailer.  Name on the side was some Gospel Quartet from Tipton, Indiana.

I just did a Google search for Gospel Quartet Tipton and found a web site (http://www.thedisciplesquartet.com/) for The Disciples Quartet with photos of all 5 members ....  Their web site says

July 17 : Cross Ties Gospel Barn
West York, IL - 6:00pm


 Hmmm... 6 members of the quartet in that photo ..

Anyway, back to my tale.  They go a block up the highway, kind of hesitate, and turn off.

You know they either missed their turn or are lost.

So I circle around through the alley to see if I can help.  They turn left in front of me and head east on Main Street. I sat and watched their tail lights go over the hill and thought to myself "Them boys are lost".

I could be mistaken.  They might know exactly where they are going.  They might be staying overnight with a friend.  Or they could still be wandering around the river bottoms.  I'm pretty sure they didn't go to Darwin and cross the ferry.

It did make me pause and wonder how many times we take off on the wrong path leaving someone standing there able and willing to give us direction?

Another thought came to mind as well.  I bet they were following directions from a GPS unit.  How many times do we follow the direction someone else points us instead of thinking it through ourself?

This could make an interesting communion meditation. Or it might work for a start to the Sunday morning message I have to work up for Family reunion.    Maybe I should save it.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I saw Tony Guyer from Crossties at lunch. He said they were heading for Tipton, Indiana! I better go check my irrigator alleys, they might be stuck at the end of one.

Blog Archive